chrome.manifest cannot be encoded in UTF-8

I am following the awesome 2X45 minute video tutorial on the Firefox “helloworld” extension bootcamp (with copy-and-paste code).

The error console kept giving me the following warning:

“Warning: Ignoring unrecognized chrome manifest instruction.
Source file: file:///D:/Profiles/smallbug1960/Projects/hellowrold/chrome.manifest Line: 1”

(There was a couple of other messages/warnings/errors underneath this one which I failed to duplicate.)

I spent “significant amount of time”- a couple of hours, to be more precise – before finally figured it out. It turned out that I had the chrome.manifest encoded in UTF-8; once I turned it in ANSI, the errors/warnings went away and the long expected “Hello world!” button finally showed up under the status bar!

BTW, I am on Windows XP Professional/Firefox v3.5.5, if that matters.


Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: